Set Board as MASTER Board (Column Structure, Permissions, and Automations Applied Across Linked Boards)

It is in the works at monday.com for ENTERPRISE accounts.

Some good news to share: there is an alternative app called “Enhanced Boards Templates” that can be installed from monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done (marketplace submission is ongoing).

On your template board you install a recipe just to confirm this is a template. You need to leave that recipe in the template.
Now, every board created from this template (by whatever method) will see this recipe and the new board will subscribe itself to the other recipe. The recipe can be deleted from the newly created board if you wish, it does not do anything and is not needed anymore.

The second recipe is to be used in your template (it does do nothing in boards created from that template). You can create any column type with it and that column will be added to the template and all boards created from it.

Have fun with it :grinning:

2 Likes

@basdebruin

Very cool Bas!!

Awesome job!

Please implement this feature. We’ve been waiting quite patiently!

2 Likes

The Enhanced Board Template app (here) now includes a view where you can easily add / delete / view which boards are linked to the template.

The app will be released in the marketplace soon.

Are there any updates on the Dynamic Master Template? I’m on Enterprise and can’t seem to find it. It sounds like it should have been released by now.

1 Like

Any update here? It would save so many people so much very tedious work.

1 Like

Hi @basdebruin! This seems like it would solve a portion of my issue by updating columns. I tried to find this in the marketplace, but had no luck. What phrase should I search to locate it?

1 Like

hi @BGBO

We postponed the marketplace submission as there are some changes in monday.com behavior in the board duplication process.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Does it also works with updating the automations?

Any update? Now 2023?, regards

1 Like

Any update on this? It is very welcome!

1 Like

Hi all, currently we run Monday based PM system.

There are 50+ standard formatted linked boards based on templates and 12 dashbords. Most of boards based on one common template. Just imagine, you have a task to change template and all of boards based on this template in hours.

Now it can be done manually only. No anower way. Its horrible, and take a lot of time each times you need to do so.

For complicated cases, like mine, automatical transition of changes from template to template-based boards is strongly required feature. Hope Monday team can implement it soon.

1 Like

MASS UPDATE BOARDS FROM TEMPLATES:

We use [JOB FOLDERS] with 4 [TEMPLATES] in each folder as so:

image337×664 27.5 KB

We are constantly changing automation’s, layouts, etc. to continue to advance our boards and business. These job folders are our MAIN access point for all jobs.

This makes it confusing for our guys in the field because some boards are different than others and work in different ways and most importantly I am needing to go into every single job folder to apply these changes. Currently we have well over 50 job folders.

Solution: Two check-boxes in the template

• Update board changes to all (boards created from this template)
    (column moves, permissions, name changes, status options, etc.)

• Update automation changed to all (boards created from this template)

2 Likes

YES! This would be amazing!

3 Likes

I need this too.
Same use case. We have created a template and with time we received feedback and appended changes to it. This template is widely used and currently, we need to redeploy it and move all of the items from the boards that are based on the previous version to the new one.
Being able to apply changes in the template to it’s child boards will be a great enhancement.

3 Likes

This is essential. A change to a template should change all boards created from that template. This will help reduce overhead and maintain consistency in reporting.

8 Likes

Anything new with this?

2 Likes

Any movement on this?. We have enterprise customers waiting for this update. Since the template in their world is basically where the updates can be triggered to entire board structure. We have a customer who has created 376 boards from the same template and now if they need to make changes , it has to be done manually. This is turning them to a solution like Trello where the mass update feature is available.

4 Likes

I think this would be a very helpful feature update. I am also looking for away if a templated column can be updated and that update is reflected in all the boards where this templated column is added. Any suggestion or guidance on this would really be helpful.

2 Likes