Set columns as required to be filled

Hey @andrewalmand, thanks for looping me in!

@vdwest03—like @andrewalmand mentioned, forms would be the obvious solution, despite their limitations. We are looking into form enhancements such as supporting the people column.

Another solution could be using the formula column. You could have a formula that would give a certain output only if all columns are filled out. e.g. “if all columns are filled out, output ‘TRUE’”. Then you could filter by formula columns that had the value “TRUE” to see all of the completed items. Would that help?

In full transparency, making fields/columns mandatory is not on our roadmap at this time, but I can see how useful it would be for you here.

1 Like

Thanks for your insight Talia! Really appreciate the roadmap transparency!

1 Like

Would be great to have an option to make a column as required column

1 Like

Hi, there seems to be quite a few discussions on different scenarios where mandatory fields are required. I think there should be some standard functionality where any column can be set as mandatory on creation of the board and also be able to enforce non-standard mandatory columns through workflow (eg If status changes to “Done” make these other columns mandatory)

Hi Talia - what is this formula exactly? Thank you!

Hello,
In the 2024 roadmap, there was a new feature for mandatory Fields…

Looks like this feature just got released in sales CRM for enterprise plans only. Conditional status changes – Support (monday.com)

This would improve the user errors in our workflows so much instead of all the different automation hacks I’ve had to make up instead. Please Monday release this across the board!!

I’m pretty angry to see this features released on “Monday CRM”, when we have been asking for so many time. :rage:

it feels disrespectful! :rage:

They just released alos " Conditional status changes" on “Monday CRM”… same thing we have been asking it for so long, but they release it on another product that does not fit our needs.

Please add a heart if you feel the same way. :rage:

3 Likes

Apparently, this feature is coming! It’s called: “Conditional status change”.
But it will ONLY be available for MondayCRM.

Since this topic was started, a number of apps have been released that can help with this workflow for regular monday.

We have launched our Required Columns app with very affordable plans for small userbases.

There is also Mandatory Fields which has a wide range of automations, and the Workflow app was mentioned above already.

I know apps aren’t acceptable to everybody, and they need some creative use to get what you need, but I thought it was worth giving an update on what’s available. There may be others, and you can build your own automations too!

With this I definitely will start the change of platform… Or I missed something?

I definitely agree on the required fields option and I think it would be nice to have the option that when a certain status is clicked that another column appears based on what was clicked. That would probably be pretty far down the line though.

The conditional status change is cool, bjt the fact it does not work on Files columns is disappointing to say the least.

This would have been the most important use case for us.

All of the apps don’t cut it for us unfortunately, as they are simply automations that move the item back. They aren’t a ready pop-up like the native monday functionality.

I really hope Monday.com adds the file column to the conditional status change.