Set columns as required to be filled

Hi, one year using monday.com for students and teachers matters. I strongly need below simple workflow:

Currently we can open an item to fill columns, but…so many times some only change the status column and anothes columns are missed.

We need ability to apply restriction like forms, set actions needed completed to change status successfully.
Example: click status to done, immediately show anothers columns on screen that are required to be filled too.
Like form, we can set field as required or not.
After the conditions are accomplished, show option and ask, chenge next item? Or return to board view.

With that requirement applied we will ensure items will be filled as how the process is designed to provide the data that is the key of all monday.com to aim for.

I would also love to see this feature in Monday.com but so far they only offer workarounds and additional App (extra cost) to achieve a simple yet very desirable solution.

Good day,
We need a feature that will enable us to make any column (not just a text or description column mandatory). It is to ensure that the user completes all columns that are mandatory. If all these columns are not completed by the user, it will also have an impact our current reports that we have created.

Please note that we do not want to use Workflow at an additional cost and do not want any other work around please, we just need the same settings on a column, similar to restricting or hiding a column.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Regards Chanel

Hi @vdwest03 !

Just to confirm,
what you need is a recipe that sets a column to be mandatory, meaning, if the column is not populated by a value - trying to fill any other column will result in the immediate deletion of the value you filled?

1 Like

Hi Yoggie,

Yes that is what I mean. We need to ensure that all fields are completed for reporting purposes. We do not want any gaps in the fields in our columns on our boards.

1 Like

Hello, you can use the Form view to create new items and establish which columns as required to submit the form.

So you are saying, I can build this exact same board with 32 columns with formulas etc. in Forms?

So the Forms Board will be a mirror image of my current project board?

~WRD037.jpg

image003.png

The Form is a view (not a board) you can create when pressing the +Add view. You can show some column type, but not all of them (people and formulas can’t appear on the form). You can personnalize the questions and descriptions and even send the form to users that are not in Monday.com.

Hi Dominic,

I really do not want to discuss the option of the Forms any longer, this was not my request at all, my request was for the enhancement to make all columns mandatory. The Forms option does not cater for our needs, as we have 32 columns that includes formulas etc. Therefore please stop giving us workarounds that will not work for us and try and prioritise the real requirement we are actually asking for, which is the mandatory column setting.

Regards,

~WRD037.jpg

image003.png

Hello @vdwest03. I’m a simple user trying to help you.

1 Like

Hi Dominique,

I am so so sorry, I have been logging calls with Monday.com for over a week now and they suggested Forms over and over again and I thought this was them.

I really do apologise, I was just so frustrated, as I have been asking for this feature since earlier this year. Did not see you were a user, thought you were a support person from Monday.

I really do apologise.

Regards

~WRD037.jpg

image003.png

Hi,
Currently users can create new items without entering needed details to applicable columns and there is no automation that checks if a column is empty then do something (like notify creator).
Workarounds like using conditional formatting to highlight an empty cell or use column description calling on the column as mandatory are not good enough as these can be ignored.
That being said, I would very much like to have the option of setting specific columns as mandatory columns.

Thanks,
Baruch

Allow a column to be set as required for record creation. This is a basic function of any modern database.

The simple way to do this is to add new records via forms and set the form fields to to required

We have asked early 2021 whether an enhancement can be implemented to make ALL columns mandatory, to ensure that users complete all fields and that our boards do not have any gaps on any item.
We do not want to make use of the workaround using Forms and we need this feature on other columns as well, not just for text columns. When will this enhancement be implemented?

@TRB-monday.com Calling in someone who might be able to answer your question regarding IF/when a feature like this would exist.

But I’m not sure its on the roadmap since; (1) like you said its achievable through the Form View, I wouldn’t necessarily call it a workaround either since the Form is designed for adding items to a monday board and the “Required” option is standard. (2) there is currently an app that might fill any gaps for now https://www.spot-nik.com/workflow.

Items are created in multiple ways, “New Item” button, +Add field, Forms, Import etc. and all require the name added first. The Form view / Import are the only ones that actually inputs column data other the item name, so I’m not sure how exactly “mandatory columns” would function after an item is created. Do you want them to be red(colored) if empty, or the user notified they are empty and need to be completed? To ask for the items be entered in the normal fashion(+Add field or New Item button) and then require other mandatory fields is asking for a complete rework of basic monday item creation.

Can you provide more information on your use case and how you imagine it would work/look? Maybe I’m misinterpreting your request or there is another way to accomplish this.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your email.

We currently have 31 columns on a project board where the columns feed multiple reports that we have developed with Syscor. One report that we are also currently building with developers will also depend on the information of certain number columns.

From previous sessions held with Syscor, it was my understanding that Forms cannot accommodate all our requirement, hence we need mandatory fields within a column on our current project board.

For example below, we have epics and story types, just to show you 2 of our columns, if these fields are not completed within a sprint, our reports are not complete?

This is a basic functionality to ensure that the users complete all fields for reporting purposes.

~WRD037.jpg

image004.png

Aha yes I see why the Form View wouldn’t immediately work for your needs, as some of the columns in your screenshot, People, Tag & Timeline are not supported. What you’re really asking from the perspective of Feature Feedback/Request, is more supported columns in Forms as that would be easiest way to achieve mandatory fields.

But for some columns, there is a simple work around to get them working in the Form. If you’re open to it, I would love to assist and see if the Form View can work for your needs. So far I see the following columns that don’t work in forms: People, Timeline and Tag.

Can you list all your other column types(no need for specifics) on your board? Hover over the column title and click the drop down arrow, the first field should say what kind of column it is. With that information I can provide you with detailed info on how to adjust your board for the Form View to work.

Hi Andrew,

Not to be funny, but I am certain it will be much easier to develop an enhancement to make a column a mandatory field, than to give you all the columns and try and find a workaround for each column.

Surely we need to work smarter and not harder and the solution to all our problems will be ONE enhancement to make columns mandatory?

I am not going to work on any other workaround. How can I get this enhancement prioritised?

I have been trying a few months now and are really frustrated at this point in time, as everybody recommends workarounds and at the end the workarounds does not work.

Regards,

~WRD037.jpg

image002.png

2 Likes

I understand @vdwest03, workarounds aren’t always the ideal solution, I was just trying to offer something temporarily in the case that this was an urgently required solution.

I love to work smarter but if you step back and look at this specific situation, we’re just 2 customers in an ecosystem of +150,000. I would imagine at least half of mondays customers, probably more, are also asking for new/“missing” features, all for a popular software in live development with millions of moving parts. I think we need to taper our expectations to what’s realistic. I would argue its smarter in this case to utilize a workaround where possible, especially if the alternative is waiting around for a large corporation to implement a feature that isn’t critical to the function of most subscribers.

No software is going to be perfect or all encompassing and workarounds will always exist, unless you are spending tens to hundreds of thousands per year and have dedicated development. With that being said, lets dial in on the feature request and how it can be improved.

Original Request
Mandatory Fields - This by itself is not specific enough nor realistic as its essentially asking for multiple new features/reworks to existing structures to be implemented. The most efficient request would be the inclusion of more column types into the Form View. The Form View already has a “Required” option in terms of item creation and the framework already exist for adding them so that would be the quickest and simplest in terms of Feature Request via this community. I would suggest searching this Community first to make sure it hasn’t already been requested, or there is already a popular Form View Feedback post with more votes and constructive activity where I was actually speaking directly with some of the monday team on new Form features. If you check out that post, you will see we actually made some headway and new feature were added recently to Forms! If you do post in there, If I may suggest make sure to provide detailed Uses Case info and the specific columns you need to work in the Form View.

Not sure if you saw in my first reply but there is also this app which lets you control Workflow steps and has required columns.

The monday Marketplace is intended for this exact purpose, to allow developers to fill the gaps on features or niche request. Also some apps on there have eventually become full features.

Other than that I would reach back out to Syscor regarding either customer API development or if they have better way to request features from monday directly.

Hope this helps!