Subitem Timeline vs Overall Timeline

Looking to figure out a way to sync the item timeline with the duration/timeline of the subitems. I’m okay if there is automation that needs to be built in or something or even a workaround with duration, but can’t seem to find the answer of what/if anything to do.

Hi @isaacyoung :wave:

Welcome to the community!

Are you setting this up for project management? Subitems can be a little restricted in capability and automated functionality when compared with the native item capabilities and functionalities, and I’m not sure you’ll find what you’re looking for with that structural outlay.

I’d be happy to jump on a call together and have a look at your requirements/discuss best approach, providing any tips or pointers I can in getting set up for scalability and full visibility of all tasks etc.

Lets discuss further together or have a quick call to get a feel for things if that’s your preference - reach me anytime:

+61 03 9067 5611
peta@upstreamtech.io

Alternatively, you can book straight into my calendar here:
Chat with Peta

Thank you for considering upstream as your partner, and have a great day ahead!

Kind regards,
Peta

hi @isaacyoung

Welcome to the community! Do I understand correctly that you want the (parent) item to show the overall timeline of all its subitems? There are two options:

1. use the setting in the subitems column that says “Show Summary on Parent Item”. This will create a new column in your parent item that shows the summarized timeline. Unfortunately this column is showing a timeline but it is not a real timeline column so you can enter (overwrite) information manually in this column. To overcome that you can use:

2. The app Rollup Subitems) shows the summary of the subitems data in an existing (in this case timeline) column in the parent item.