When duplicating a board the link column are still linked to the previous original linked board

Hello,
I have created different boards with link column. i use these boards “per project”. The idea is to duplicate them (or make a template) for each new project to use the structure.

Problem is, when i duplicate the boards, the link columns in the duplicated boards always link to the original linked board, and not the duplicated one.
Is there something i missed ? or is there any turnaround or fix ?

Thank you,

Hi, @mlpzik - Welcome to the community. No, you aren’t missing anything. This is how it works when you copy (at least for now). You’ll need to make it part of your process to relink any duplicated boards when you launch a new project.

@PolishedGeek understood, but how do we do go about doing that? I can’t find any way to do it through automation.

When including automations to duplicate boards and create new items and link them, it seems almost a no-brainer to me that this should be possible.

A little use case example. Tracking film production workflows. A task list is setup on a template board, then using an overview board and a projects board, I’d like to be able to duplicate the task list board for each new project (pulse added to the project list board). Those items have to be linked to the overview board to see everything at a glance, but also the project list board, so that you have a view of both the tasks associated with each project, but also overall tasks needing to be handled from an organizational view.

Ive found countless ways to do it wrong… trying to figure out one that doesn’t require manually linking 20 tasks for every project.

Hi, @austinreeves - At the time I responded to this back in early 2021 (which is like 5 monday-years, it seems!), there wasn’t the ability to use the “match” automation. Check these out in the Automation center and see if you could perhaps create something using the project name, a project id or some other unique value to automatically link them up: Image 2022-03-19 at 4.59.55 PM

Just search for “match” in the Automation center. The match automations came out a few months ago and have been super helpful on many of our client projects!

~ Deb Cinkus, PMP
Certified monday․com Partner
CEO & Principal Consultant, Polished Geek

Book a Consultation with a monday․com expert: https://meet.polishedgeek.com/more-with-monday

Thanks so much for the help and sorry, didn’t mean to necro a thread. It seemed pertinent.

I currently use the “when status changes, create and link new item on another board”, so that when I “activate” the status it creates on the overview board and links back to the original. I just can’t figure out a workflow that allows me to connect the task list board to the project board, then send that over to the overview board. It seems like the only way to do it is manually enter or repeatedly input duplicate information (which is problematic only if it changes down the line, b/c its not linked).

Thank you for the suggestion though

Austin Reeves
Cinematographer
austin@austinreeves.com
202-480-9272

1 Like