Where to put spaces in JSON (integrating Zapier)

Hi there,

I am trying to use Zapier to link a Gravity form on our website to Monday.com

I keep getting error messages and am working through it with the Zapier support. The issue is that it keeps kicking back error messages even when it seems like I have entered all of the JSON perfectly as it shows on the documentation page.

My question is if there is an issue with where the spaces are, as on the documentation page it shows that sometimes there is no space required around the use of colons, sometimes a space is needed only after the colon, and sometimes a space is needed both before and after the colon.

Any and all support is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jake

Hey @jjay.lewin ,

white spaces outside a double-quoted string literal are ignored in the JSON syntax.

Greetings

1 Like

Hey @jjay.lewin :wave:

Thank you for creating this opportunity for us to help :slight_smile: I’m sorry the way JSON formatting works, in this case, is leading to some brainstorming and communication with Zapier’s support.

Just to clarify, are you able to pass 1 column value at a time using Zapier? I would really love to understand where the issue you are having is coming from, and it would help us isolate the issue if we could understand the exact column value that seems to be the culprit here when passing data from Zapier.

@TMNXT-Dev thanks for jumping in and sharing your insight! I really appreciate your help here!

-Alex

Thanks @TMNXT-Dev - are you saying it doesn’t actually matter how many/if any spaces there are outside of the “quoted” text?

@AlexSavchuk Zapier has passed me the full API log for the error (bearing in mind that we have fixed a couple of them and then had them come back). To me, it still looks fine on the JSON formatting even on the error message… So not sure. Can you see something I’m missing?

https://cdn.zapier.com/storage/files/43248c0933f1c634c76a49aa5d515d34.txt

{
“error_code”: “ColumnValueException”,
“status_code”: 200,
“error_message”: “invalid value, please check our API documentation for the correct data structure for this column. https://monday.com/developers/v2#column-values-section”,
“error_data”: {
“column_value”: “{"email" : test@domain.dev", "text" : "mentor email address"}”,
“column_type”: “EmailColumn”
}
}

@jjay.lewin

As far as I understand JSON formatting, it doesn’t seem like spaces are relevant for the formatting in general. Think of how you can “minify” CSS or JS code from a human-readable format to a single line of text without issues to improve website loading speed, if that makes sense?

It seems to me that the part above is where you’re having issues. As far as I understand, you’re missing a double quote before the email address value that you are trying to parse through Zapier, thus you’re getting a 200 error code. Do you think that could be the root cause here?

Here’s an example of how you’d format column_values for the email column on the Try-It-Yourself page by connecting to our API directly. The formatting should keep the same spirit on Zapier’s end too:

{\“email\” : {\“email\” : \“example@example.com\“,\“text\“:\“my email\“}}“)

Let me know if that sheds a bit more light on this. It can be somewhat confusing to deal with JSON at first, but having some examples can really help get to a point where things work, at least :slight_smile:

-Alex

2 Likes

Yes that is correct. It’s defined in RFC4627.

Greetings

2 Likes

omg, that was it (at least for that column…). Thank you so much! Can’t believe after looking at it all day I just kept missing that double quote.

That aside, I am still having issues with a dropdown column which might be a simple “yes/no” answer from you.

The question I am importing from on Gravity forms is a multiple-choice checkbox question. My hope was that Zapier would have been able to import into a Monday.com dropdown column all of the answers, if they had put more than one. Is this possible? Maybe not.

Thanks again,
Jake

1 Like

@jjay.lewin

HOORAY! I’m glad that worked out for you :slight_smile:

As for the dropdown column values, they always have to be sent according to their Index in the platform, and you will not be able to create indexes based on API calls (which is basically what Zapier does for you)

Here’s a topic in the community where the man, the legend aka Scott goes into further detail on that:

Updating a dropdown column using labels?

Here’s more info on this in our API docs as well:
https://monday.com/developers/v2#column-values-section-dropdown

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

-Alex

1 Like

Okay, thanks @AlexSavchuk for your support on this. That’s a shame that I can’t get it to work like that through Zapier. I will work something else out I’m sure.

Thanks again for your support on this!

Regards,
Jake

Okay, new issue! The testing through Zapier worked fine - however, when running a live test from our website it failed.

It looks like this might be because one of the questions is blank - but on monday.com the field this “blank question” is going into doesn’t have a “blank” label that can be used (because Monday.com doesn’t let me create blank labels").

Is this really the case? If so, does anyone know a way around this?

Regards,
Jake

1 Like

@jjay.lewin

I would recommend checking in with Zapier about this to see what they have to say. My initial hunch would be to replace the “blank” value you are getting from your website with a different value that is recognized by Monday.com, for example “N/A” could be a way to resolve this.

Perhaps adding a filtering condition or a formatted to your Zap could be the way to go here. Here’s an article I could find on Filtering on Zapier’s knowledge base, perhaps it will be relevant to what you are looking to do:

-Alex

Thanks for your support on this @AlexSavchuk - this indeed worked. I used the “default value” option from the filter steps and that allowed me to put “NA” (although, not “N/A”) as a default value for if a field comes into Zapier blank.

If anyone reads this due to similar issues - remember to then change the output going to Monday.com to the filter, from what’s coming in from Gravity Forms!

Thanks again,
Jake

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: JSON Files column