Allow admins to administer ALL boards

Hi Monday,

I strongly suggest to give admin users the ability to see and do everything with every board (except private boards of course).

At this moment, an administrator cannot do his work, since he is not aware of the existence of shareable boards, unless someone subscribed him to them.

Once subscribed, he may be an admin, but still cannot change board subscribers and change everything he deems necessary, unless he is assigned ‘board owner’ by the registered board owners (who may be users that have left).

With the current permissions, he needs to be subscribed to EVERY board to be able to administer it, meaning he receives tons of updates and notifications about things he’s absolutely not interested in. Updates and notifications where he is interested in, easily get lost in the bulk of ‘trash’.

And all of that, only because an admin doesn’t have true admin rights at the moment :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I agree 100% - We’ve had a fair bit of confusion about tasks not getting done because the right people can’t see boards.

4 Likes

Same here.

I’m surprised that admins cannot see shared boards created by others. As mentioned above, this causes problems when those people move on and tasks remain incomplete.

2 Likes

Yes I agree re admins having admin rights to ALL boards. I asked another staff member to set up a board for me as I didn’t have time myself and now any adjustments to the board or additional users etc have to go through her log in instead.

1 Like

Thank you for the support to this request, @AlliS.
In your particular case, your staff member can simply make you board owner (see board subscribers) on which you get the same rights as her on that particular board :+1:

1 Like

Any update on this? We have multiple Admins and hundreds of boards so going through each to make this change would be very in-efficient.

6 Likes

This is actually a GDPR concern for us. We need to administer our data, and we don’t want to make the users who didn’t share boards with us (as admins) feel awkward when we “take ownership”, so we have lots of unknown monday boards flying around with people not well versed in how to handle certain compliance concerns, hiding them from us.

What’s up with this one Monday?

8 Likes

Also agree. Not sure why @Monday your not listening to this feedback!!

3 Likes

Poor administrative control is a big reason we are not implementing Monday across our entire business.

4 Likes

Yes, that is a weakness we are noticing with Monday.

It needs more comprehensive admin controls and more granular permissions for users.

6 Likes

I’d like to join the group on this topic.

Because we operate ONLY on Private Boards Sctrictly, this entire stats section is useless to us. Bummer … BUT! if Monday.com could enhance the administrator access/tools, it would actually be helpful.

2 Likes

This is a massive issue we have also. It would even be better if admin could atleast see all of the boards that exist and who is owner/is subscribed to them (not necessarily the information thats on them).

7 Likes

That could work, but should be configurable by Monday customer. For instance - we need someone to see what data we store - that’s a must, but I could see where some organizations would not want to give the IT level admin resources that ability.

Perhaps added security groups/ of some sort could help Monday here - different rights for different types of admin access.

4 Likes

I am literally shocked that this is even an issue. But we report bugs to Monday.com without hearing back on a weekly basis so I guess I should not be so shocked.

4 Likes

Monday Team - is this in your pipeline?
I’ve been a requested feature (and an obvious feature) for a while now and no response to your community.

5 Likes

Is this not a data protection problem? Or is there a different tool for dealing with subject access requests? If my org receives a subject access request, we are legally required to inform the requester about all the information we are storing about them. How are we supposed to do that if admins can’t search all boards for the personal information? We can’t rely on employees thoroughly searching the boards they own and reporting back to us, we need an admin account to be able to search for it.

6 Likes

Echoing the concerns above, our company as a whole struggles to use monday to its fullest potential because each user struggles to configure their notifications, dashboards, boards, etc, in ways that would be most useful to them and others.

If an admin user with actual admin access could alter the settings for each user and modify permissions and board structures across the company, we could more quickly and efficiently develop our internal procedures for using monday effectively.

This is a major oversight in monday’s design and application for businesses. Until this feature is available, our company can only commit to a monthly subscription, as we have to stay on the lookout for another platform that can be better curated and customized without relying on each individual user for the heavy lifting of setup and upkeep.

9 Likes

Really hoping the Monday team addresses this. The comment above about “how to” concerning passing ownership fails to recognize the needs of multiple industries. At a high level, we are building out Monday as the front end for data management just as others have mentioned. For any system that houses data, there needs to be a user class that can access the ENTIRE infrastructure, with partitioned permissions below that class. I understand that is against the concept of an open networking model, but it is absolutely critical from both system and compliance levels to have access to existing boards and data.

4 Likes

This is my second attempt with a Monday account. They were much more supportive and responsive when they were DaPulse before receiving venture capital. :unamused: We too really need permissions and admin oversight.

2 Likes

Thought I’d bring this request back from the dead - not having complete sight of all boards as administrator devalues the purpose of an administrator.

Any update?

4 Likes