How is Creator assigned from a form?

I have a ticketing board, where I set up a form that people can fill out that will create a ticket for another team to work on. I would like to set it up, so that I can automatically send the person that filled out the form notifications about the status of their ticket. I have tried creating a person column and creating notifications based on who the person assigned to the ticket is, and I believe this is the best way to do this. But I need a way to automate the assigning process to the specific person that filled out the form. I have tried using the automation “When a new item is created, assign creator as person”, but for some reason, this only assigns me as the person. Am I setting up the automation wrong, is there another automation that I could be using to do this, or another process that might work for me better? Thank you for the help!

See this similar thread about WorkForms which should allow that automation to work correctly:

Forms Supporting People Column - Feature feedback / Board Building Blocks - monday Community