My Work and Timelines

Hi there!

My team absolutely loves the timeline view! We use it to help work with workloads and determine who is working on what, but unfortunately the way that My Work sorts timeline dates is by the final date only. So something that we set a timeline as something that should be worked on over 2 weeks ends up showing on someones radar (because of how many things we assign in monday) once it reached the this week grouping.

It would be great if My Work put work that was suppose to be worked on (or within the timeline) on Today or This Week so we don’t have to search and remember what work as based on timelines and deadlines.

This would be super beneficial for our team as well. When the later date is pulled, it can very easily be missed. For example if a 10 day task isn’t noticed because it gets pushed to the later category in the “My Work” view, the task is now behind schedule because it was not started on time.

The suggested work around provided to me by support was creating a dashboard, but on the pro plan we are limited to 10 boards per dashboard which we often exceed and would require a lot of manual upkeep to rotate the correct projects onto a dashboard.

I was thinking about setting up the dates on our boards using 2 date columns (Start Date and End Date), but this then limits the functionality of the Gantt and Timeline views so I don’t think that is a solution that will work for us either.

It would be great to have a toggle or something similar that you can chose to select the earlier or later date when using timeline columns in the “My Work” view.

3 Likes

YES! This would be super helpful!

3 Likes

This is really needed, to me this is a design flaw and shouldnt be a feature request: My Work is a task list and you cant plan tasks that last longer than a few days based on the end date… then you start working on them too late. Before we figured out that tasks are sorted by end date when a timeline is used in combination with My Work, quite a few projects were started too late by unsuspecting employees…

Probably most companies dont use the timeline in combination with My Work but regular date columns instead (start and end are on same date), because, otherwise this would have a lot more votes. @Julietteb @BiancaT Please still consider this feature/fix instead of waiting for 100+ votes.

3 Likes

We are also suffering from timeline sitting in the later date. It definitely should appear in Today for everyday in the timeline. Our tasks can take months. Or we need a functioning calendar view for my work which would solve the issue

3 Likes

Agreed. My Firm only just started on Monday.com and the majority of our teams use only TIMELINE to assign start and end dates for tasks. Most of our tasks take weeks to months to complete and you have to be very careful when viewing your MY WORK to make sure you are starting your tasks when necessary otherwise you will be behind and may miss your due dates.

Adding a filter where you can sort assigned tasks in MY WORK based on TIMELINEs start dates showing up under its corresponding week, or even setting that as the default for TIMELINE, would be a huge help!

1 Like

There are requests going back years on this, I am not sure why it hasn’t yet been addressed. Any update, Monday?

We use the timeline column instead of single dates, to represent the span of the work.
So our tasks will look like:
Kickoff: 10/7/23
Development: 10/8/23 - 10/23/23

Right now, the my work page only shows items in terms of their last date.

In the case of the development above, the team is kicked off and completely forget about it within a day’s span (based on workloads and many other factors).

Instead of only having items that END today, in todays grouping, can we also please show items where today is part of the allotted working time?

In the example above, starting tomorrow (10/8) in the assignees “Today” section on the My Work Page, and for everyday up to and including the end date (10/23), they would see this particular task and be reminded that it is something on their plate.

Right now, there are many cases where it drops off their radar until they see it come due on the end date, and they have run out of time.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same opinion. It’s a bug in My Work design, long-running tasks get lost in it.

2 Likes

This is definitely something I would like to see too. In our company, the things that appear on My Work are a mix of of single date items (eg action item with a deadline a few days away), and those with timelines (entire projects, major work phases).
I don’t need the timeline items to appear in the This week group. I’d prefer a separate group below labelled something like This week ongoing. Items in This week should be marked as complete during the week, but this second group is for information.
Similarly, below Next week it would be good to have a Next week due to start group of items with a timeline starting next week.

Hi @monday,

Any new on this?
At the moment “my work” does not work if you use timelines to indicate that a item takes 3 weeks for example.
It shows 0 on today while you should be working on this item today and the next 15 days.
Thanks!!

Any update on this?

My Work is one of the many key features that’s super helpful. But without the option to have it show the item during a time frame, there are so many of your customer including my company can’t utilize it.

1 Like

Yes, this would be very helpful! A regular struggle for me also.

My team would also LOVE this feature!! Any updates?

Same here, big frustration of mine!

Same here. Everyone in our organization loves this feature but we stop using it because this limitation. Now we go back to the old approach which require necessary time and effort. Basically we are serving the tool and not the other way around.