Any way to make a due date a required entry in the date column in a board when creating a new pulse/item?

We have users who enter a pulse and person but often neglect to put a due date in the date column due to laziness or lack of time. They say they’ll come back to it but never do.

Any way to make a date column a required column in a board when creating a new pulse/item?

I know required fields are a feature of forms but we need required dates in boards.

7 Likes

Love this idea. :heart_eyes: And also the idea to make any coulmn required even beyond due date.

7 Likes

Yep, would love to have the option to make any column a Required Column.

Our fledgling team of Monday novices are taking baby steps. They love the software but there’s a tendency to enter only the absolute minimum possible information (pulse and person). Constant reminders to enter dates fall on deaf ears.

They’re not harnessing the power of dates or deadlines - so My Week, overdues, timelines and other date driven Monday tools have no opportunity to provide all their benefits.

In effect, Monday.com is becoming a glorified To-Do list.

Simple tweaks such as required columns would instill some discipline in data entry so the entire team can see the benefits of the rest of the software and collaborate better.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I think I’ll move this to the features request category. How would you expect this to work? How would you ensure someone added such information?

How would you expect this to work? How would you ensure someone added such information?

As simple as it would in a normal web form or any database software.

After entering a new pulse and adding a person, if the user then tries to immediately start another pulse (happens here all the time), or click anywhere else on the screen, Monday would automatically place the cursor into the Due Date (or any required Column) with a tooltip asking for a date to be entered.

Something like:

Feature Considerations:

1. There would have to be an indicator on each Required Column showing that it is required. Something like the red asterisk in the screenshot.

2. Hidden and collapsed columns would have to be considered - perhaps Required Columns cannot be hidden or collapsed, only re-sized so that the asterisk is still visible and data entry is still possible?

9 Likes

Great mock-up John. Exactly what I was thinking. I agree with your point on not allowing Required Columsn to be hidden or collapsed. It’s something the Monday team would need to keep in mine during design.

I just noticed this automation:

That would help to a limited extent if we set a default due date of 7 days after pulse creation.

However, that would still allow the team to skip entering dates and potentially fill the boards with meaningless dates.

I’d rather the team enter real due dates for each pulse which they will think about and therefore own.

4 Likes

+1 to this suggestion.

My team is using Monday to track customer service requests and I’m trying to have them enter the dates and type of requests they are receiving so that I can build dashboards around that data to see how many requests we get on any particular day, how long the requests take to complete, and what type of requests we receive most often. However, I find I spend most of my time filling in missing fields in their pulses in order to get valid information. Having a required column fields would be spectacular.

1 Like

An improvement I would really enjoy is the ability to set required fields in the table view like there is in the form view. I really want my team to fill out all the columns in a pulse, however, they sometimes forget and I have to follow up later (if I remember). I would really appreciate being able to have these fields required in order to avoid this follow up.

8 Likes

I really want my team to fill out all the columns in a pulse, however, they sometimes forget and I have to follow up later

Agreed. We’d need a preference to set this on/off for those who don’t need it too.

Feel free to add your vote to the existing similar feature request for required Dates as well.

1 Like

(+1 on this.
if you want to go more further, i would add validations or rules for columns.

examples: validations for dates, numbers (not less than other number column), others.

3 Likes

I would also really appreciate the ability to validate the columns on forms. We use forms more and more to collect information internally!

3 Likes

+1 To the above suggestion.

What about making the data your team has to enter a form? On a form you can require certain fields are populated and that will automatically populate your pulse?

1 Like

That’s definitely something I’ve considered; but, we forward pulses to the Monday board from our email (we don’t have an email that integrates with Monday suuuuper frustrating, I know) so we can keep the updates. It would be a lot to ask them to enter their pulses on a form, open the pulse created from the form, grab the email from the pulse, then forward the email to the pulse to capture the update.

+1 totally agree. Need to be able to validate the correct info (or at least some info) is entered in specific columns!

1 Like

+1 Totally agree with the “Required input feature”

3 Likes

Me too, would love to get this settled.
https://community.monday.com/t/date-as-a-required-field/2448

1 Like

@Julia-monday.com there is any news on this?

We would like to avoid customer complaints by ensuring that all critical data on our boards is loaded correctly, and that there are no empty fields.

3 Likes

Agreed we’d love an update

1 Like